With all the liquid that’s added, this ends up being a rather soupy casserole. It’s a heartier French onion soup that’s packed with vegetables and makes a meal on its own. We’ve added red peppers to the typical mayonnaise and garlic of a traditional French aioli. You’ll have some left over; refrigerate it for later uses, such as for a sandwich spread.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut Italian bread (about 6 ounces), toasted
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Red-Pepper Aioli
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut 2 bread slices into 1-inch cubes; set aside. Drain tomatoes in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid; discard remaining liquid. Place tomatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in basil, thyme, pepper, and garlic.
Place 1/2 cup onion in the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 bread slices, half of the remaining onion, half of the tomato mixture, half of the zucchini, and half of the cheese over onion in dish. Repeat layer; top with bread cubes. Pour 1/2 cup reserved tomato liquid and broth over casserole. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole and bake an additional 25 minutes or until top begins to brown.
Spoon 2 cups casserole into each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon Red-Pepper Aioli
Yield: 1 cup (serving size: 1 tablespoon)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained
Drop garlic through food chute with food processor on. Process until finely minced. Add the remaining ingredients, and process until well-combined.