- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant roux mix
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Garnish: finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Sauté first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until browned; stir in roux mix. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Stir together butter and garlic; brush on one side of bread slices. Top sausage mixture evenly with bread slices, buttered side up.
3. Bake, covered, at 425° for 10 minutes; uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tony Chachere’s Creole Instant Roux Mix.