- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Okra Pilau
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until flour is chocolate colored. (Do not burn mixture.)
2. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth and sausage. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare Okra Pilau. Stir chicken into gumbo; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Serve with Okra Pilau.
Kitchen Express Note: We love the flavor of fresh onion, bell pepper, and celery, but to make it even quicker you can substitute 1 (10-oz.) package frozen diced onion, red and green bell peppers, and celery.